The Wishful-Thinking Bias

The tendency to wish something to be true that's false, or vice versa.

We often interpret facts as we'd like them to be, not how they actually are. If I believe I can talk to Hazel, my beautiful, deceased grandmother, that's wishful-thinking. Lots of people subscribe to this fantasy. So what's the fact? The fact is there is no proof that I'm actually meeting with Hazel. No one can see her, except me, and I'm hallucinating or have a vivid imagination. A list of common wishful-thinking examples: seeing ghosts, believing there are gods, imagining eternal life, thinking the stock market will go up for another ten years, and so on. This bias is related to "The Tinkerbell Effect." If you wish hard enough for something to come true, this theory suggests you will get your wish.